Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy



“But the thing about having kids is: you can’t go to pieces; you just have to keep going.” 



I read this book about a year ago because I wanted to do a presentation in school about it.
My English teacher is a Bridget Jones fan just like me and really wanted me to talk about this book. She told me how she read this book in one day and loved it so I had high expectations.

Mad about the Boy is the third Bridget Jones novel written by Helen Fielding and apparently the last one of the series.

I grew up watching the movies and still to that day can say that those movies are in my all time favorites to watch. A couple years back, I read the first book and I loved it. It was funny but different to the movie. I started to read the second right after but didn't even finish it. I didn't like it as much as the first.

In this book, we follow 51-year-old Bridget as she struggles with her job and taking care of her children alone. Her husband Mark Darcy tragically died in Sudan (why do this to us Helen?), leaving Bridget to care for two kids while trying to cope with the fact that she is now widowed.
Four years after Mark's death, Bridget is still single and grieving. Her friends however want her to engage in the dating world again to find Bridget a boyfriend. Cue awkward conversations with strangers. After some attempts of hooking her up with men, Bridget starts seeing a 29-year-old she met over Twitter (new land for her. How do people notice her tweets?). Bridget struggles to keep up with her new toyboy, writing a screenplay, cooking and being on time for the school run.

Now as I said, I had high expectations on the third one thanks to my teacher. The overall reviews were split into two opinions: One half loved the book, the other didn't like it at all.
I am sadly with the latter.

I wanted to love this book, I really did. But I just couldn't get into it.
It took me ages to finish this one. Maybe I am too young to really understand everything in this book (admittedly, the books started when Bridget was in her thirties and now she's 51). I just couldn't relate to Bridget anymore. She seemed too foolish and desperate.

Nevertheless, I will be looking forward to see the movie that is being filmed at the moment.




Have you read Bridget Jones: Mad about the Boy? What are your thoughts on it?
post signature

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Decanne. Design by Fearne.