Melbourne Victoria, Australien

Melbourne Week 1: Settling in, Australia Day & Healesville Sanctuary

Hello everyone,
As I've mentioned really briefly in my last blog post, I am now in Australia.

I will be living with a family for the next 6 months and do what aupairs normally do.
I do hope to continue blogging and I think it would be really nice to write up a weekly update of what I got up to. 

I started my adventure really early on Saturday morning (23rd of January). My family went to the airport with me to drop me off and kill some time because my flight got delayed an hour. I've only ever flew to Majorca last year with my friends, so it shouldn't surprise you when I say, this was one of the scariest things to me. Going through all of the controls on my own was so stressful and confusing to me. I just had no clue of what was going on.

I had a stopover in Dubai, which turned out to be longer than planned. I arrived way too late and thought I was about to miss my connecting flight. Turns out, that I had to wait 2 hours for the next flight to board.

The second flight was somewhat a nightmare to me. I was seated between two strangers (my actual seat was an aisle seat, but someone asked me to switch so they could sit next to their husband) and over 13 hours in flight isn't fun at all. 

When I arrived in Melbourne, it was just after midnight (monday morning, Melbourne time). My Host Mum (HM) picked me up from the airport and showed me my room for the next 6 months.

The next day, I got to meet the kids and my host dad (HD) for the first time (we skyped before, but I haven't met them yet). They couldn't come to the airport because it was too late. HM went to Wholefoods with me after she helped me out with a bank account.

On Tuesday it was Australia Day. 
3 other families from the neighborhood were invited for a barbecue.
I got to know the parents, so that I would know someone when I have to pick up the kids from school and wait with the parents.

Wednesday was the first day, that I got to stay at home with the kids (their school started on Friday). So, we had two days of fun at home until they had to go to school again. We did a movie day on Tuesday. I got them to watch my favorite kids movie, Lilo & Stitch. I think they liked it.

On Saturday, we all drove to the Healesville Sanctuary. 
I got to see my first Kangaroo and Koala. We tried to find Kangaroos the day before, while driving to a restaurant, but we couldn't find any.
It was a really nice day outside, watching animals. I haven't been lucky with the weather over here. It's been raining a lot.

At first, it has been really difficult to keep on talking English to everyone. Since I started learning English in school, I never been put on a spot to talk English for more than 20 Minutes (in exams) and I had to get used to that. Most talking I did in my head, so it is a complete different scenario.
I had a few slip ups at first, but I think by now I know when to talk English and when to talk German.

Down below, I'll put a couple of pictures I took at Healesville for you to check out if you want.

post signature

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Decanne. Design by Fearne.